Juicing weight loss plans have become extremely popular of late. Many people swear about the effectiveness and impact of juicing for weight loss. Fans of juicing also claim juicing detoxes our body and provides other health benefits.
Skepticszzz however remain unconvinced on the ability of juicing to help in weight loss (especially sustained weight loss).
So, let’s have a look at what juicing is all about and whether it helps in weight reduction and overall wellness.
JUICE = NUTRIENTS + SUGAR – FIBERS
The resultant fruit or vegetable juice is high in sugar and nutrients, but it doesn’t contain fibers as the skin, pulp and seeds of the fruits or vegetables are removed. Juices are typically very low on calories but high on nutrients.
THE SCIENCE BEHIND JUICING WEIGHT LOSS PLANS
Juice fasts can differ wildly in intensity. While most people replace one meal for a few days to lose weight extreme fasters can go on an all juice diet for a week or even more.
DOES JUICING REALLY HELP LOSE WEIGHT?
The simple answer is yes – juicing does help lose weight and do it fast, but the weight loss can be really unhealthy. So, before you rush to buy a juicer and your favorite fruits and vegetables – read on.
The theory behind juice fasts is simple. Since juices are low on calories a pure juice diet will provide you with as little as 600 calories a day. Our body on the other hand typically needs 2000 – 3000 calories a day to survive.
So, the body eats into your fat reserves and muscles to make up for the calorie deficit which leads to rapid weight loss.
HEALTH AND WELLNESS IMPACT OF JUICING
Granted there is plenty of anecdotal (if not scientific) evidence to suggest juicing does lead to rapid weight loss. But juicing – especially for prolonged periods may have a devastating impact on your health. A few of the health risks and other symptoms associated with juicing are:
- Hunger: Juicing diets are almost totally devoid of protein and fiber – the two ingredients that tell your body it’s full and doesn’t need more food. While on a juicing weight loss plan you should expect to feel hungry almost all the time.
- Weakness: Juicing weight loss plans work due to a severe calorie deficiency. This means your body is not getting enough calories to function normally which very often leads to a feeling of weakness and tiredness throughout the day.
- Metabolism: Prolonged juicing can adversely reduce your natural metabolism. As your calorie intake dips, your body goes into preservation mode (think of it as a power save mode on your cellphone). Your body tries to save calories and your daily calorie requirement dips. Since your juicing weight loss plan works because of calorie deficit, this is counterproductive to weight loss and negatively impacts your health.
- Digestion, Heart and Blood Sugar: Juicing eliminates fiber, an essential digestive component from your diet. This negatively impacts your body’s natural digestion system and can lead to complications ranging from constipation to increased risk of heart disease and diabetes in individuals.
- Lower Muscle Mass: As your body hunts for other calorie sources, it will start burning highly useful muscle mass. Lower muscle mass leads not only to a poor physique but will also impact physical activity levels, reduce natural metabolism and lead to other health complications.
JUICING WEIGHT LOSS IS TYPICALLY NOT SUSTAINABLE
While juicing can give you fast weight loss, probably the worst thing about juicing is that most people report putting back most (if not all) of the lost weight soon after they revert to a regular diet after a juice fast.
DOES JUICING HELP DETOX THE BODY?
In-fact our body’s critical organs like the liver and kidney are incredibly effective at identify and eliminating toxins from our body so moving to a pure liquid diet for eliminating toxins from the body is totally unnecessary. If you’re looking for detox as part of a wholesome weight loss strategy, I recommend trying the red tea detox solution.
BOTTOM LINE – SHOULD I JUICE TO LOSE WEIGHT?
There is enough evidence – anecdotal and scientific to suggest that juicing is not a sustainable weight strategy. If you’re looking for an effective weight loss method – I suggest you consider a more comprehensive program like the Fat Decimator System. You can also look at my post here and select the fastest weight loss plan for your lifestyle.
if you’re convinced juicing is the right first step in your journey to fitness, I recommend you get the following:
- The 5-Day Juicing Diet: A Plant-Based Program to Achieve Lasting Weight Loss & Long-Term Health by Megan Roosevelt a book to know more about juicing and for useful, tasty recipes
- Breville Juice Fountain Plus Juice Extractor
- Epica Glass Beverage Bottles Set to carry your juices for each day for the week
Whether you decide to start juicing or not, I want to wish you all the best on your journey to fitness. Looking at this page is a great sign of commitment and I know you’ll be fitter and healthier soon.
Please leave comments in the comment box below and tell me about your weight loss choice