Joint pains can literally be a pain in the neck (and more) and cause a lot of us, especially post 40 to live a sedentary lifestyle which only makes the problem worse. In this article I answer the million-dollar question – how to relieve joint pain naturally using 7 simple hacks.
Following these steps will have say goodbye to joint pains and aches in no time and behaving like a 20 something athlete (OK the athlete maybe a bit of a stretch but you get the drift).
Weight loss and Joint Pains – A Classic Chicken and Egg
Did you know 7 in 10 overweight people complain of joint aches as the biggest reason for not exercising! Ironically enough losing weight is the best way to reduce joint pain!
So how do we get around this classic chicken and egg problem of losing weight without exercising?
I got good news for you here. Weight loss is not about exercise. In-fact you can meet at least 80% if not 100% of your weight loss goals just by eating right (read my blog on the right foods to eat here). So be sure you’re eating the right food to start losing weight and feel your aches reducing automatically.
Do I need to Exercise?
Weight loss does help reduce joint pain but does not eliminate it. So, the one-word answer is YES – you need to exercise. (Exercise also helps you look good so hey it literally cannot hurt)
If you’re avoiding exercise you’re not doing joints any favors. In fact, this harms your joints and pretty much ensures they will never be 100% OK again. Exercise can be very effective – not only in removing aches and pains but also in toning your body and getting back the 20 something look we spoke about earlier.
But before you get a gym membership and start pumping weights pay attention to this very important piece of advice. Exercising without proper knowledge can harm your joints. So, before you pack your gym bags, read the following points and be confident that you will stay pain free.
Say goodbye to painful joints in 7 easy steps
1. Lose weight: I know I’ve spoken about this earlier, but this is extremely important! For every pound of weight you lose, your knees feel 4 pounds less pressure!
So, get on a good diet and start losing weight immediately – read my blog on effective weight loss here.
2. Stay active through the day: Being glued to your desks for long stretches hurts your joints.
Try and walk at least 250 steps every hour (or at least every two hours) to ensure your joints get exercise throughout the day. Also try to hit 8 – 10 thousand steps everyday (swap short taxi rides for walking or just find a cheaper parking place a little distance from your office or just take a walk in the morning or evening)
Need motivation to stay active? Get a smartwatch (choose a smartwatch for you from our smartwatch review here), set hourly reminders and enter steps challenges to ensure you enjoy being active.
3. Improve Your Posture: Bad posture leads to joint pains. Good posture on the other hand helps with weight loss, improves confidence and reduces joint pains.
If you suffer from chronic bad posture, use a posture corrector (this one on amazon has particularly good reviews) so make sure to check it out.
Get a trainer to show you the ropes. It may sound like an indulgence to some, but the cost of a trainer will be a lot less than that of a doctor. Get a trainer for a few days just to learn how to exercise properly and then you’re good to go on your own.
6. Always warm up: When exercising, do not pick the weights and start pumping. Always, always warm up before and cool down after you exercise. A proper warm up prepares your muscles and joints for exercise and is critical to make sure you don’t damage them
7. Use braces for support: Braces are helpful as they provide external support to your joints and muscles. If you suffer from particularly bad joint pains, support the joints using braces. These braces are highly effective and quite affordable. Users – from arthritis sufferers to athletes with injuries swear by their effectiveness and use braces to lead an active life.
All the above points having been said, it is most important for you to listen to your body. If you feel discomfort just stop and come back the next day. If the pain persists – stop exercising and see a medical practitioner.
Getting rid of those painful joints is not rocket science! If you know these 7 simple steps, you know how to relieve joint pain naturally and get a fit toned body as a bonus. All you need to do is stay motivated, fight lethargy and stay the follow them for a month to see a noticeable difference in you.
A quick wrap up
By now you know not just how to relieve joint pains but also to look fit and good.
Just to put it all together again – being overweight is a huge reason for joint pain. Pick the right diet to eat well and start shedding the excess pounds right away. Stay active throughout the day and start exercising to build strong muscles to cushion painful joints.
If you enjoyed the article or have any other suggestions to help with joint pain relief, do leave your thoughts in the comments section below – there is nothing like love from you to keep me motivated and going.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Till next time,